Tuesday, December 5, 2006

Dream comes true at 53 !


About 4 weeks ago I was encouraged by the conductor,Brian Tan to join a new orchestra,KL Pac ( KL Performing Arts Centre ) Sinfonietta he is leading.


He heard me play the cello while attending a class in Dominic's music shop in Plaza Damas a year ago.

Some flashback....

Two years ago,while scouting for a cello teacher,I chanced upon Johnathan Oh Ban Hin,a talented young professional NSO ( National Symphony
Orchestra ) cellist in a music shop where I sent my old violin to be serviced.I requested he played a piece for us.


For the next few minutes,I was completely mesmerised by the beautiful and mellow sound of the intrument.The music awakened something deep within me...it must been the deep longing in my heart as a child and teenager to learn the violin and the piano...


I could feel the pain of not being able to take classes in the 60's...Growing up in a cowboy town like Temerloh with migrant parents whose only
preoccupation was surving the poineering years and managing their 'kongsi' business started by grandpa,the grand patraich,I could understand my circumstances but I was not content to bury my dreams and accept my fate.


In form 2 I literally pestered my home Science teacher,Ong One One( see I can remember her name - brought up in KL )to teach me the violin or at least the theory of music.


Because I couldn't get an instrument,she agreed to give me a few lessons on the fundementals of music theory.

I promised myself that "someday" I will find the money and the time to do what I was not able to do while I was young....


Here I was at the age of 51,at the music shop - I immediately popped Johnathan the question if he would be willing to take Philene and ME as his students ! He was sure of Philene and after a slight hesitation, he kind of said okay with me....I think he was realistic about me starting the cello old....


As soon as he agreed,albeit a little lukewarm,I immediately ordered a good handmade cello to be made for me which cost nearly RM7000! I didn't even bother to know if I was going to be able to play it....I have heard one of Malaysia's best cellists,Tan Poh Joo (who was studying in the UK then) played a couple of years ago at Ann Perreau's music studio,it didn't occur to me to take lessons then,mainly because I was still busy with my home-based business then.


Paradoxically,there is a time in our life when we must grow up to face the child in us that hasn't grown up...

And I faced the child in me on that divinely appointed day in the music shop... and you know what,through whatever difficulties I face while learning the cello in the last 2 years,I have never once regretted making such a "rash' decision.

I had once spoken to Dominic about my desire to see my daughter learn a second instument ( piano first ) so she could play and spend part of her young life experiencing playing in an orchestra, a healthy recreation I thought.

Dominic was very positive and reassuring that it would not be a problem at all.And he had been most helpful in giving us lots of encouragement in our pursue of a music education...

6 months into the cello classes,he encouraged us to take up grade 2 practical exam.We did.Philene scored a distinction and I alas...fumbled in a couple of places...and scored 9 marks from distinction...haha...that was fun...I was prepared for the pieces but I wasn't prepared for the nerves of steel to perform - I didn't make provision to handle the slight occasional slips during performance :(

Surpringly the examiner commented that the first piece I palyed -

"You had the right intentions here despite one or two uneven moments in coordination.There was a firm tone and some effective contrast of colours and there was a promising feeling for the phrasing..."

On the second piece, he reported," This began well with firm,vibrant tone and notes were mostly well placed here - just the odd slip."

On the last piece," Generally a confident approach to this; the notes were mostly well placed and tone had character and interest...."

His overall comment : "Well done - a good all round result."

With such encouraging comments it gave me additional boost to my determination to play my cello well.


Back to the present...

And now that Brian had expected me to join the orchestra...

I thought I am living my dreams learning the cello.

Now I have been invited to play in a community orchestra...

hmmm...that's really more than what I am asking for... I certainly can't complain :) !






No comments: